If you do any type of construction work in the District of Columbia, your company must hold either a home improvement contractor’s license or a general contractor license. If you work directly with home owners, you will also need a home improvement salesperson’s license.
Today, we are discussing the requirements for a general contractor license in DC. Below are the application requirements or you can download the PDF here.
For assistance with your application or to contract our turnkey solutions, contact us today.
All applicants for a General Contractor License in DC must comply with the following code requirements:
If your organization is a corporation, limited liability company, partnership, or in some cases, a trust, the organization must be registered and in good standing with the Corporations Division of the DCRA.
Non-Resident of the District of Columbia (including Foreign Corporations)
If you are not a resident of the District of Columbia, you will need to appoint a Resident Agent who lives or works in an office in the District, who will be the official recipient of any financial, process, or legal notices that we need to send to you. If you are not a DC resident, please complete the Certified Resident Agent Appointment Form.
Corporate Registered Agents
Any business required to register with the Corporations Division is required to maintain a registered agent. Said registered agent may be a bona fide District of Columbia resident or a company physically located in the District of Columbia. The registered agent’s office may or may not be the same address as the place of business.
Trade Name Registration (Use of Fictitious Business Name)
A business operating under a fictitious name or a name other than the legally recognized name must register the trade name with the Corporations Division.
Basic Business License Application
All applicants for a Basic Business License must complete an application, remit the associated payment, and submit the required supporting documentation.
Clean Hands Self-Certification
All applicants must certify that no more than $100 is owed to the District of Columbia Government as a result of fees, penalties, interest, or taxes through completion of a Clean Hands Self-Certification.
All Applicants must provide a registered tax number (i.e., SSN or FEIN) at the time of application.
Certificate of Occupancy/Home Occupation Permit
All applicants for a General Contractor/Construction Manager License in DC operating from a premise located in the District of Columbia must provide a Certificate of Occupancy (C of O) for the premise address from which the business activity is conducted in order to demonstrate the activity does not conflict with building and zoning codes.
Each applicant shall furnish a certificate of insurance for the license period pursuant to DC Code and DC Municipal Regulations. Each applicant must secure commercial general liability insurance as follows:
- Applicant applying for Class Alicense limits of at least two and a half million dollars ($2,500,000) per occurrence (umbrella) for bodily injury and property damage arising in any way from the issuance of the license
- Applicant applying for Class Blicense limits of at least one and a half million dollars ($1,500,000) per occurrence (umbrella) for bodily injury and property damage arising in any way from the issuance of the license;
- Applicant applying forClass C license limits of at least five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) per occurrence, one million dollars ($1,000,000) in the aggregate combined single limit for bodily injury or property damage arising in any way from the issuance of the license;
- Applicant applying for Class Glicense limits of at least five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) per occurrence, one million dollars ($1,000,000) in the aggregate combined single limit for bodily injury or property damage arising in any way from the issuance of the license;
- Applicant applying for Class Hlicense limits of at least five hundred thousand dollars ($500,000) per occurrence for bodily injury or property damage arising in any way from the issuance of the license.
Note: The Certificate of Liability Insurance must: 1) be issued to your organization as registered with the Corporations Division; 2) be issued to the premise address provided on the Basic Business License Application; 3) provide a Description and Location of services provided (i.e., General Contractor in Washington, DC); and 4) show the certificate holder as “Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs, 1100 4th Street SW, 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20024. P.O. Boxes are not acceptable as the insured’s premise address.
Contract and Invoice Samples
All applicants for a Basic Business License for the General Contractor/Construction Manager category must submit three copies of at least two sample contracts and receipts.
Home Improvement Salesperson Designation Letter (If applicable)
Any applicants for a General Contractor/Construction Manager License in DC who plans to contract with home owners must provide a list of salespersons working for the company. At least one Home Improvement Salesperson application must be submitted along with the application for the General Contractor/Construction Manager. This does not apply to those not working directly with home owners.
This category of the Basic Business License is subject to a thirty (30) day background investigation prior to issuance of a license. This investigation will be conducted after a Basic Business License Application, all required supporting documentation, and payments have been received and accepted by the Business Licensing Division.
If you like what you see here, join us on Facebook!