In the District of Columbia, you are required to have three photos for an initial application for a home improvement salesperson’s license and two photos for a renewal application. Although we have never been asked for more than two for any of our clients, we recommend going armed with the right number of photos.
Your application will be deemed deficient if these photos are not included. To avoid processing delays and possible late fees stemming from this deficiency, we recommend using a professional passport photo service.
Your passport photo must be:
- In color
- Printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper
- 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) in size (View the US Passport Photo Composition Template for more size requirement details).
- Taken within the last 6 months to reflect your current appearance
- Taken in front of a plain white or off-white background
- Taken in full-face view directly facing the camera
- Taken with a neutral facial expression (preferred) or a natural smile, and with both eyes open
While we recommend you use a professional passport photo service to ensure your photo meets all the requirements, you may take the photo yourself. Hand-held self-portraits are not acceptable. Photos must not be digitally enhanced or altered to change your appearance in any way. If you take the photo yourself with a digital camera, the digital image must adhere to the following specifications:
- The image dimensions must be in a square aspect ratio (the height must be equal to the width). Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 x 600 pixels. Maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 x 1200 pixels.
- The image must be in color in RGB color space which is the common output for most digital cameras.
Photos can be procured at most CVS, Walgreens and WalMart locations as well as photo stores and US passport offices. Be sure to check with the location before you go to ensure that the equipment is functioning.
Just another step down the road to getting your DC Home Improvement Salesperson’s License!